Movatterモバイル変換


[0]ホーム

URL:


Las Vegas News
VIEW E-EDITION
99¢ for 6 mos
Support local journalism.
MANAGEACTIVATESIGN IN
52°Fweather icon
52°F
weather iconCloudy
Las Vegas, NV
icon-x

Initial payment for Palazzo falls short

March 29, 2008 - 9:00 pm
icon-x
 

General Growth Properties' first payment on the Shoppes at Palazzo came in about $200 million less than originally projected thanks to the effect of construction delays on the complex transaction with Las Vegas Sands Corp.

Still, by 2011 when General Growth is scheduled to make its final payment on the mall in the Palazzo, Las Vegas Sands officials expect they will have received more than $700 million.

Las Vegas Sands, owners of The Venetian, Palazzo and Sands Expo and Convention Center, reported in January it had been expecting an initial payment of $500 million from General Growth, according to the real estate Web site GlobeSt.com. It came in at $290 million.

The deal changed, however, when the mall opened in January with fewer stores than expected ready for business.

A source close to the deal said the reason was construction delays, not a slowdown in demand for space in the mall.

"We would have loved to see the mall open all at one time," the source said. "It is about construction, not about lack of tenants."

The reason for changes in payment amounts is due to the structure of the transaction. Terms of the sale call for payments to be tied to a percentage of the mall's net operating income.

General Growth will pay a 6 percent rate on net income up to $38 million and an 8 percent rate on income above $38 million.

When the mall opened without a full roster of stores, it meant net operating income, and the initial payment, would be low.

The two sides retooled the deal, however, by increasing the number of payments from four to seven.

As more stores open and income rises, the payment amounts will increase.

And when the deal closes, General Growth will have spent more than $1 billion buying malls from Las Vegas Sands. In 2004, the Chicago-based company agreed to buy the Grand Canal Shoppes at The Venetian. It would end up paying about $776 million for the approximately 400,000 square-foot mall.

Contact reporter Benjamin Spillman at bspillman@reviewjournal.com or (702) 477-3861.

MOST READ
Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Las Vegas Sands Corp. President and COO Patrick Dumont, seen in an undated courtesy photo, beca ...

Las Vegas Sands Corp. President and Chief Operating Officer Patrick Dumont succeeds Rob Goldstein as chairman and CEO in two weeks.

Miriam Adelson (right) and her son-in-law Mavericks governor Patrick Dumont, remain in the cour ...

The largest shareholder of Las Vegas Sands Corp. and the owner of the Raiders and Aces will be honored in an event sponsored by UNLV’s Lee Business School.

FILE - Milwaukee Bucks forward Giannis Antetokounmpo warms up before an NBA basketball game aga ...
By Jay Cohen The Associated Press

Almost eight years after a Supreme Court ruling cleared the way for legalized sports gambling across the country, the rise of prediction markets in sports has received a mixed response.

 

A real estate firm with a track record of deals in Southern Nevada picked up several properties near Fremont Street.

Encore, left, and Wynn Las Vegas, right, on the Vegas Strip on Saturday, January 27, 2018. Rich ...

A tough comparison on table-game win was part of the reason the Las Vegas company had a decline in results in 2025’s fourth quarter.

(Getty Images)

An electrical blast in June 2024 caused “debilitating injuries,” including the amputation of Tommy Weiland’s lower right leg.

The doors officially open for an inaugural night of old school bingo on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 202 ...

The nostalgia-inspired bingo hall marks the return of the low-cost, social game-of-chance to the resort corridor.

 

Skye Summit, in the northwest valley, spans 505 acres and is planned for 3,500 homes.

The Poker Palace is seen in North Las Vegas Thursday, July 31, 2025. (Sam Morris/Las Vegas Rev ...

Nevada Gaming Control Board members recommended approval Wednesday to Sparks-based Truckee Gaming LLC for a gaming license to operate the casino under a new name.

Resorts World on the Las Vegas Strip (Resorts World)

Two former gaming regulators found themselves on the other side of licensing questioning before Nevada Gaming Control Board Wednesday.

MORE STORIES

[8]ページ先頭

©2009-2026 Movatter.jp