Movatterモバイル変換


[0]ホーム

URL:


Sources were behind Harry stories, not hacking - Mirror lawyer

6 June 2023
Price Harry arrives at court

  1. Join us for more tomorrowpublished at 18:16 BST 6 June 2023

    Dulcie Lee
    Live reporter

    We're bringing your live coverage to a close - but we've still got plenty for you:

    Updates were brought to you by Imogen James and Jasmine Andersson, with Jemma Crew, Dominic Casciani, Tom Symonds and Sean Coughlan reporting from court.

    The page was edited by Owen Amos and me.

    Prince Harry is due back in court tomorrow morning - see you then.

  2. Analysis

    No smoking gun... but that's by no means fatal for Harrypublished at 17:59 BST 6 June 2023

    Dominic Casciani
    Legal correspondent, reporting from court

    Prince Harry came to court on Tuesday morning with a simple mission: The onus was on him to prove his case.

    But where is the smoking gun? Where is the repentant tabloid reporter admitting he targeted him?

    The Mirror Group today repeatedly argued that stories had come from a variety of legitimate sources, and sought to expose the Duke's theories as wild.

    But, the publisher also knows the Duke's case benefits from the fact that it has admitted large-scale unlawful information gathering in the past.

    So Prince Harry has been repeatedly pointing out compelling similarities to the earlier cases which his lawyers want the judge to note: The same mystery missed calls or voice messages, the same journalists making the same payments to private investigators.

    Tomorrow we get into the final batch of stories, many of which will continue to touch on the intrusion he says so damaged his life and those around him.

  3. Attributing information to a 'friend' is hallmark of hacking - Harrypublished at 17:34 BST 6 June 2023

    Jemma Crew
    Reporting from court

    Before we pack up for the day, it's worth revisiting one exchange in court from earlier.

    The lawyer for Mirror Group Newspapers, Andrew Green, asked Prince Harry about a story in the Mirror in 2005, which claimed Chelsy Davy was going to "dump him" amid speculation he'd flirted with a mystery brunette at a party.

    Green put it to the prince that there was “nothing unlawful” about the journalist who wrote the piece speaking to people at the party.

    He replied: “No, if that’s what she did.”

    Green told the court that a quote in the story was attributed to “a pal”, but it had been revealed that the source was Davy’s uncle.

    In reply, Prince Harry called it “convenient” to attribute the source to someone like that.

    He said that attributing information to a pal or a friend “is a particular hallmark of phone hacking”, adding: “It is what I would do if I was doing something illegal.”

  4. Five key points from Harry’s witness statementpublished at 17:12 BST 6 June 2023

    Prince Harry's 49-page witness statement was published just as he began giving evidence in court this morning.

    We've spent the day poring through it - here are some of the key bits:

    • He accusesPiers Morganof intimidation, sayingas a consequence of bringing this claim, he and his wife have been subject to “horrificpersonal attacks”
    • Knowing journalists from Mirror Group Newspapers were listening to hisvoicemails created a “huge amount ofparanoia”, he says
    • The prince alleges that the tabloid press cast membersof the Royal Family into specific roles, with him being cast as a"thicko", "cheat" and "underage drinker"
    • Prince Harry says rumoursJames Hewittwas hisbiological father were “hurtful, mean and cruel”
    • He says the press and UK government are at “rock bottom”, and accuses the media of getting into bed with the government.

    Read our article in fullhere.

  5. Phone data shows brief but aborted call - Harrypublished at 16:36 BST 6 June 2023

    Dominic Casciani
    Legal correspondent, reporting from court

    The trial moves to two stories in 2005, concerning Prince Harry's long-regretted appearance at a fancy dress party in a Nazi uniform.

    The Mirror's claimed Chelsy Davy was going to "dump him" amid speculation he'd flirted with a mystery brunette at the same party.

    One article says Chelsy was “furious” and had given her boyfriend a “tongue-lashing down the phone”.

    Daily Mirror articleImage source,Crown

    "The article also reports that Chelsy had phoned me 'at my father’s Highgrove home'," says the prince in his statement.

    "The details about our telephone communications are not attributed to anyone, so how could the defendant’s journalists know about this?"

    Prince Harry says two days before the story went out, call data shows someone at the Mirror Group made brief but aborted calls to his friend Guy Pelly, in circumstances that looked like an attempt to access his voicemail.

  6. Chelsy's uncle behind stories, suggests Mirror lawyerpublished at 16:14 BST 6 June 2023

    Dominic Casciani
    Legal correspondent, reporting from court

    Mirror group lawyer Andrew Green says that Prince Harry's trip to meet Chelsy Davy's family was already well-known across the media.

    He says the Mail on Sunday had already named and pictured the resort the day before.

    Prince Harry says he was not surprised because journalists had checked into the hotel before he arrived.

    The prince says that the article is suggestive of investigators "blagging" information about flights - meaning conning the details out of people who legitimately hold them.

    But Green suggests the information came from Davy's uncle. Prince Harry says that it was highly unlikely the uncle would have known the flight plans.

  7. Harry asks how Chelsy flight plans were revealedpublished at 16:08 BST 6 June 2023

    Dominic Casciani
    Legal correspondent, reporting from court

    We're now on to Prince Harry's relationship withChelsy Davy, his first long-term relationship.

    In December 2004, the Daily Mirror reported that he was meeting her father on a holiday on a small island off Mozambique.

    The article includes pictures of Chelsy and Prince Harry and details of how he had met her wider family.

    Daily Mirror articleImage source,Crown

    "It also states I would be flying back to Britain on 19 December," says the prince.

    "I am at a complete loss as to how these details were obtained. Details of my travel plans, including dates I would be flying, were not released by the palace for security reasons, yet the specific date I would return to Britain was published days in advance."

  8. Harry pressed over whether he wanted to meet butlerpublished at 16:06 BST 6 June 2023

    Tom Symonds
    Home affairs correspondent, reporting from court

    Prince Harry’s been closely questioned on why he says in hiswitness statement he didnotwant to meet his mother’s former butler, but inhis book Spare he said hedid.

    He now tells the court: “I can’t remember whether I wanted ameeting with him or not.”

    So does he now remember calling Prince William anddescribing Paul Burrell as a “two-faced s***”?

    “I was leaving voicemails for my brother, and that is aterminology I used describing Mr Burrell, yeah,” Prince Harry says.

    The Mirror group's lawyer Andrew Green suggests there were sources talking aboutthis story within the Royal Household.

    The Evening Standard’s royal correspondentRobert Jobson for one seemed to have spoken to them.

    “I wouldn't necessarilycall them sources,” Prince Harry responds. “Based on a lot of what he’s written,they may be imaginary sources.”

  9. Were princes hacked over butler dispute?published at 15:58 BST 6 June 2023

    Dominic Casciani
    Legal correspondent, reporting from court

    A key article in Prince Harry's case was in The People in 2003, where he is clearly alleging possible phone hacking.

    It revealed a private disagreement between the prince and his brother,Prince William, over how to handle Paul Burrell, their late mother’s former butler, whom they thought should stop talking to journalists about her private life.

    The story quotes Prince Harry calling Burrell a "two-faced s***" - and he says the journalists may have got that from a voicemail interception.

    People article on royal brothers' disagreementImage source,Crown

    Prince Harry says: "Our disagreement over to how to handle the situation going forward wasnot something I wanted splashed across the defendant’s newspapers, and I have no idea how the defendant’s journalists obtained the information within the article.

    "A ‘senior royal source’ is quoted within the article, reflectingmy exact private feelings- including that I was 'dead against any meeting' and that a meeting would be 'pandering to Burrell’s attention-seeking and self-interest'.

    "I also would have used the phrase “two-face s***”, as is reported and believe this could have been lifted directly from a voicemail I had left," he says in his witness statement.

  10. What's going on in courtpublished at 15:50 BST 6 June 2023

    Prince Harry and Andrew GreenImage source,Julia Quenzler

    Court has resumed after a short break, and the lawyer for Mirror Group Newspapers, Andrew Green KC, is stillcross-examiningPrince Harry.

    Green - described by one of his former clients as"a beast in court"- is a specialist in commercial law and has been cross-examining the prince since 10:30 this morning.

    Prince Harry submitted awitness statementfor the trial, based on 33 articles which he claims included unlawful information gathering by the publisher, including phone hacking.

    Green has been basing his cross-examination off of these articles, going through each one in turn.

  11. Harry worried about Eton expulsion over drug takingpublished at 15:42 BST 6 June 2023

    Jemma Crew
    Reporting from court

    We're still digging through Prince Harry's 49-page witness statement, and we've just found a bit more from his time at Eton.

    Prince Harry says he was “extremely worried” he would beexpelled from the school following press reports that he was using drugs.

    He refers to a front-page Daily Mirror story, published inJanuary 2002, following a series of stories by the News of the World, with theheadline: “Harry's Cocaine Ecstasy and GHB Parties”.

    In his witness statement he says these stories had “a hugeimpact on my life”.

    He writes that Eton had a “zero drugs policy” and he was“extremely worried I was going to be expelled”.

    He continues: “These articles were also written at a time whenthere had been an agreement between the press and the Royal Family, followingthe death of my mother, that my brother and I should be able to go through oureducation without constant scrutiny and interruption.

    “It seemed to me there was never any let up in the presscoverage of every detail of my childhood, by the defendant’s journalists andothers.”

  12. Analysis

    The courtroom is more Ikea than OId Baileypublished at 15:39 BST 6 June 2023

    Sean Coughlan
    From the High Court

    We can't show you pictures or footage from inside the court. But if you’re imagining the scene as a rather old-fashioned spectacle, with a lot of mahogany and pomp, then you’d be a long way off the mark.

    It’s a modern court with lots of plain cream walls, screens and modular furniture and shelves - looking more Ikea than Old Bailey. Or maybe a classroom in an ambitious sixth form college.

    Prince Harry is sitting down behind a desk and computer – and the opposing barrister isn’t pacing the floor melodramatically, but standing a few yards away, surrounded by stacks of documents.

    Behind Prince Harry is a video screen which shows the “overspill” room next door, being used to cope with the large numbers of journalists.

    The barristers are wearing wigs and gowns, but the setting is more like a modern corporate office than a costume drama.

    The Rolls BuildingImage source,Reuters
  13. What is this court case about?published at 15:33 BST 6 June 2023

    Prince Harry arrives in courtImage source,EPA

    The court is just taking a quick break, so let's step back from all the detail and recap the basics:

    Prince Harry is currently being cross-examinedin the High Court.

    The prince, and three other people, are taking a newspaper publisher to court, alleging information about them was illegally gathered to generate stories.

    As part of this illegal gathering, they believe journalists from the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and The People exploited a security gap to access their voicemails and hear messages left by friends and family.

    Mirror Group Newspapers has previously admitted phone hacking took place, but says it didn’t in these cases.

    This is a test case - if Prince Harry and the other claimants win, the judge will use it to set the level of damages (amount of money) the publisher could pay in other cases from other celebrities.

  14. Harry unclear how photographer knew his location for 'beach bum' storypublished at 15:26 BST 6 June 2023

    Dominic Casciani
    Legal correspondent, reporting from court

    Paparazzi shots of Prince Harry in the sea with friendsImage source,Crown

    Sticking with Prince Harry's gap year in Australia, he says in his witness statement that a 2003 article abouta private holiday on a beach was filled with photographs of him.

    “I remember this day so clearly,” he writes.

    “It was a publicbeach, but not busy or popular so I’m unclear how anyone had known we werethere, to be in the right place at the right time to take photographs. I wasn’taware of anyone taking photographs at the time.

    “I only learnt recently that the Queen had asked one of her assistantprivate secretaries to ... take a house down the road from where I was staying,without me knowing.

    “She was concerned about the extent of the coverage of my tripand wanted someone I knew to be nearby, in case I needed support.”

    But the Mirror group's lawyer Andrew Green says that the London Evening Standard had been the first to report wherehe was - and the photographer had sold pictures to numerous newspapers.

  15. Prince Harry accuses Piers Morgan of intimidationpublished at 15:03 BST 6 June 2023

    Dominic Casciani
    Legal correspondent, reporting from court

    Piers MorganImage source,PA Media

    Former Daily Mirror editor turned TV host Piers Morgan featuresthree times by name in Prince Harry's written witness statement.

    And in paragraph 194 (we're reading it all so you don't haveto...), the prince launches a broadside.

    "Unfortunately, as a consequence of me bringing my MirrorGroup claim, both myself and my wife have been subjected to a barrage ofhorrific personal attacks and intimidationfrom Piers Morgan, who was the editorof the Daily Mirror between 1995 and 2004, presumably in retaliation andinthehope that I will back down, before being able to hold him properly accountablefor his unlawful activity towards both me and my mother during hiseditorship."


[8]ページ先頭

©2009-2026 Movatter.jp