Retired four-star U.S. Army Gen. Jack Keane said he believes President Trump is inching closer to a decision on using military force against Iran as the presidentescalates pressure on Tehran over its nuclear program.
“Obviously, the president has yet to make the decision about that military option, but obviously, we can see what’s taking place. And in my mind, I believe that decision will eventually be made,” Keane told John Catsimatidis in a radio interview on “The Cats Roundtable” show that aired on Sunday.
The U.S. began building up its military presence in the region several weeks ago in response to the bloody crackdown on antiregime protesters by Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s forces. Trump hadrepeatedly warned that the U.S.may intervene if the regime did not stop killing demonstrators.
Iranian officials have engaged in indirect talks with the U.S. in Oman, addressing its nuclear program in an attempt to avert potential military action — negotiations that began in early February.
Both sides described the first round of talks as a “good start” but acknowledged differences remain. The Trump administration has stood firm that Tehran cannot be allowed toenrich uranium, something the Iranians have insisted they will not give up.
Trump said Friday he was hopeful for a diplomatic solution, but that failed talks could havestrong consequences for Iran.
The president confirmed that the world’s largest carrier, theUSS Gerald R. Ford, and its escort ships were being sent to the Middle East to join additional warshipsalready positioned off the Iranian coast.
“I think they’ll be successful. And if they’re not, it’s going to be a bad day for Iran, very bad,” Trump told reporters at the White House.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahuappeared skeptical of the “quality” of a deal with Iran this week but demonstrated support for Trump’s approach.
“I think that the conditions he is creating, combined with the fact that they surely understand they made a mistake last time by not reaching an agreement, could lead to the conditions for achieving a good deal,” Netanyahu said Thursday followinga meeting at the White House.
Similar negotiationswere suspended last year after Israel launched a surprise attack on Iran, targeting military and nuclear sites. Iran responded with retaliatory strikes, setting off what became known as the 12-day war. The U.S. also conducted strikes against Iranian nuclear sites during that period.
Keane warned in his Sunday interview that military action against Tehran would be “much larger” this time, speculating that any campaign would target Iranian civilian and military leadership, infrastructure and ballistic missiles.
“We’re talking about something much larger, likely than what took them, what the Israelis did in the 12-day war, but compressed and also with the United States participating as well, something that would be quite formidable, that would put the regime clearly on a pathway to regime collapse,” he said, arguing the U.S. would have “significant leverage” over a postconflict, weakened regime.
Swiss officials said Saturday that the U.S. and Iran are set to hold a second round of indirect talks mediated by Oman in Geneva next week, according to theThe Associated Press.
Copyright 2026 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The Hill is provided by Nexstar Media Group, Inc., and uses the My Nexstar sign-in, which works across our media network.
Learn more atnexstar.tv/privacy-policy.
The Hill is provided by Nexstar Media Group, Inc., and uses the My Nexstar sign-in, which works across our media network.
Nexstar Media Group, Inc. is a leading, diversified media company that produces and distributes engaging local and national news, sports, and entertainment content across its television and digital platforms. The My Nexstar sign-in works across the Nexstar network—including The CW, NewsNation, The Hill, and more. Learn more atnexstar.tv/privacy-policy.



