| Sunchon tunnel massacre | |
|---|---|
| Part of theKorean War | |
| Location | Sunchon tunnel |
| Date | October 30, 1950 |
| Deaths | 68 |
| Injured | 21[1] (2 died after rescue) |
| Victims | Americanprisoners of war |
| Perpetrators | |
TheSunchon tunnel massacre was adeath march followed by amassacre of American POWs during theUN offensive into North Korea. The death march began in October 1950 when around 180 prisoners of war who had survived theTiger Death March fromSeoul toPyongyang[2] were loaded ontorailcars by theKorean People's Army (KPA) and transported deep intoNorth Korea. The journey is said to have taken four to five days. The climate was very harsh and many of the POWs, who were unprotected and given no food, water, or medical treatment, died during the trip.[3]
The cars unloaded on October 30 at the Sunchon tunnel inSunchon,South Pyongan where the Americans were told by the North Koreans they would be given food and treatment. They were divided into groups of 40 and marched to the ravine, where the KPA mowed the Americans downen masse withsubmachine guns. A witness said the prisoners "went around the corner, into this ditch. They [the KPA] said, “Get down; the planes. Get down; the planes. So when we all ducked down some more of them came up on us over a little rice paddy and they just opened up."[4] 68 people were killed out of 138 people who died during the journey.[5][6] By the time they had been rescued by a South Korean-American rescue mission, there were only 21 survivors, whom a ROK detachment safely conveyed along with the dead to Pyongyang, whereC-54 Skymasters flew them to Japan. 2 of the survivors died of their wounds following their return to US military control.[7]: 661–3
The massacre was documented byCharles E. Potter in theSubcommittee on Korean War Atrocities.[8]In 2024 the remains of US Army Sgt Raymond Hall who was among those killed in the massacre were identified[9]
{{cite book}}:ISBN / Date incompatibility (help)