
Dakar, February 6, 2026—The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on Malian authorities to immediately release Youssouf Sissoko, who was detained on Thursday for publishing a commentary piece criticizing neighboring Niger’s president’s comments about a jihadist attack. “In recent years, Malian authorities have drastically reduced the media’s ability to criticize their actions and they are now…

Dakar, January 21, 2026—The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on Malian authorities to reverse their ban on the distribution, circulation, and sale of the privately owned French news magazine Jeune Afrique, the latest outlet to be prohibited by the allied military governments of Mali, Niger, and Burkina Faso. “One of the main, shared achievements of…

Dakar, April 15, 2025—The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on Malian authorities to immediately release journalist Alfousseini Togo after he was arrested and detained April 9 on charges of undermining the state. “Alfousseini Togo’s arrest and detention for criticizing the judiciary sends a chilling signal to the entire Malian press, which is already suffering under the threat of government…

New York, September 12, 2024—The Committee to Protect Journalists urged Mali’s media regulator to reverse its suspensions of French public broadcaster TV5Monde and private television news channel La Chaîne Info (LCI), which are the most recent outlets censored in response to coverage of security issues in the country. “Reporting critically on the activities of Mali’s…

Dakar, June 27, 2024 — Malian authorities should urgently investigate the disappearance of journalist Yeri Bocoum and account for his whereabouts, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Thursday. Bocoum, director of the Facebook news page YBC-Communication, was last seen by his family outside his home in Kati, a district in the western region of Koulikoro,…

Dakar, April 11, 2024 – The Committee to Protect Journalists urges Mali’s media regulator to lift its ban on political reporting in the country and allow journalists to cover the news without restrictions. On Thursday, the country’s High Authority for Communication (HAC) issued a directive that “invited all media” to “stop all broadcasting and publication” of coverage on…

Dakar, December 5, 2023—The Committee to Protect Journalists is alarmed and saddened by an attack on four journalists in northeastern Mali by unidentified gunmen last month, in which one journalist was killed, a second injured, and two were kidnapped. On November 7, the attackers fired on the journalists’ vehicle between the eastern town of Ansongo…

Dakar, November 2, 2023 — Malian authorities must drop all legal proceedings against journalist Abdoul Niang and allow him to report the news freely, the Committee to Protect Journalists said on Thursday. On October 19, police in Bamako, Mali’s capital, summoned Niang, director of the privately owned Malian radio station Émergence FM and an online…

New York, August 3, 2023—The Committee to Protect Journalists has condemned Niger’s suspension of broadcasts by French outlets Radio France Internationale (RFI) and France 24. “Authorities in Niger should immediately unblock access to RFI and France 24’s broadcasts and ensure all media in the country can operate freely and without fear of reprisal,” said Angela…

Nairobi, March 20, 2023—In response to news reports that French journalist Olivier Dubois has been freed nearly two years after he was abducted by a militant group in Mali, the Committee to Protect Journalists issued the following statement: “We are elated that journalist Olivier Dubois is finally free and able to return home to his…