Movatterモバイル変換


[0]ホーム

URL:


Jump to content
WikipediaThe Free Encyclopedia
Search

Failed Iraqi peace initiatives

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attempts by Iraq to prevent the 2003 invasion
A UN weapons inspector in Iraq

After the2003 invasion of Iraq, evidence began to emerge of failed attempts by the Iraqi government to bring the conflict to a peaceful resolution.

Saddam Hussein's attempts

[edit]

In December 2002, a representative of the head of Iraqi Intelligence, Gen.Tahir Jalil Habbush al-Tikriti, contacted formerCIAcounterterrorism headVincent Cannistraro, stating thatSaddam "knew there was a campaign to link him toSeptember 11 and prove he hadweapons of mass destruction." Cannistraro further added that "the Iraqis were prepared to satisfy these concerns. I reported the conversation to senior levels of the state department and I was told to stand aside and they would handle it." Cannistraro stated that the offers made were all "killed" by theBush administration because they allowed Saddam Hussein to remain in power – an outcome viewed as unacceptable.[1]

Shortly after,EgyptianpresidentHosni Mubarak's national security advisor,Osama El-Baz, sent a message to theU.S. State Department that the Iraqis wanted to discuss the accusations that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and ties withal-Qaeda.[2] Iraq also attempted to reach the US through theSyrian,French,German, andRussian intelligence services. Nothing came of the attempts.[1]

Imad Hage

[edit]

In January 2003, Lebanese-AmericanImad Hage met withMichael Maloof of theUS Defense Department'sOffice of Special Plans. Hage, a resident ofBeirut, had been recruited by the department to assist in thewar on terrorism. He reported that Mohammed Nassif, a close aide toSyrian presidentBashar al-Assad, had expressed frustrations about the difficulties of Syria contacting the United States, and had attempted to use him as an intermediary. Maloof arranged for Hage to meet withRichard Perle, head of the Defense Policy Board.

In February 2003, Hage met with the chief of Iraqi intelligence's foreign operations,Hassan al-Obeidi. Obeidi told Hage that Baghdad didn't understand why they were being targeted, and that they had no WMDs; he then made the offer for Washington to send in 2000 FBI agents to ascertain this. He additionally offered oil concessions, but stopped short of having Hussein give up power, instead suggesting that elections could be held in two years. Later, Obeidi suggested that Hage travel to Baghdad for talks; he accepted.

Later that month, Hage met with Gen. Habbush in addition to Iraqi Deputy Prime MinisterTariq Aziz. He was offered top priority to US firms in oil and mining rights, UN-supervised elections, US inspections (with up to 5,000 inspectors), to have al-Qaeda agentAbdul Rahman Yasin (in Iraqi custody since 1994) handed over as a sign of good faith, and to give "full support for any US plan" in the Arab-Israeli peace process. They also wished to meet with high-ranking US officials. On February 19, Hage faxed Maloof his report of the trip. Maloof reports having brought the proposal to Jamie Duran. The Pentagon denies that either Wolfowitz or Rumsfeld, Duran's bosses, were aware of the plan.

On February 21, Maloof informed Duran in an email that Perle wished to meet with Hage and the Iraqis ifthe Pentagon would clear it. Duran responded "Mike, working this. Keep this close hold.". On March 7, Perle met with Hage in Knightsbridge, and stated that he wanted to pursue the matter further with people in Washington (both have acknowledged the meeting). A few days later, he informed Hage that Washington refused to let him meet with Habbush to discuss the offer (Hage stated that Perle's response was "that the consensus in Washington was it was a no-go"). Perle told the Times, "The message was 'Tell them that we will see them in Baghdad."[3]

Throughout March, Hage continued to pass messages from Iraqi officials to Maloof. At one point, Maloof wrote a memo stating "Hage quoted Obeidi as saying this is the last window or channel through which this message has gone to the United States. He characterized the tone of Dr. Obeidi as begging." Maloof contacted Perle, stating that Iraqi officials are "prepared to meet with you in Beirut, and as soon as possible, concerning 'unconditional terms' ", and that "Such a meeting has Saddam Hussein's clearance." No action was taken.

According to an Arab source of theGuardian, Perle sent a Saudi official the following terms for Iraq to fulfill to prevent war: "Saddam's abdication and departure, first to a US military base for interrogation and then into supervised exile, a surrender of Iraqi troops, and the admission that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

Hage has since become embroiled in a situation involving an earlier incident involving airport security that many have viewed as payback similar to the case ofValerie Plame.[4]

United Kingdom ultimatum

[edit]

On March 12, 2003, the Prime Minister of theUnited Kingdom (UK),Tony Blair, and the UKForeign SecretaryJack Straw proposed a draft resolution to theUnited Nations. If the demands for disarmament were met by 17 March, it was suggested that military action would be averted andSaddam Hussein would be allowed to remain in power.[5][6][7]

The six tests involved:

  • a public statement by Saddam Hussein, broadcast inIraq, admitting possession of weapons of mass destruction, stating his regime has decided to give them up and pledging to cooperate with UN weapon inspectors.
  • a commitment to allow Iraqi scientists to be interviewed by the inspectors outside Iraq.
  • the surrender of, and explanation of the 10,000 litres ofanthrax the Iraqis are believed still to be holding.
  • a commitment to the destruction of proscribed missiles.
  • an account of the unmanned aerial vehicles and remotely piloted vehicles or drones.
  • a commitment to surrender allmobile bio-production laboratories for destruction.

Saddam denied possession of weapons of mass destruction. Iraqi intelligence offered to allow several thousand American troops to search for banned weapons.[citation needed]

By offering the opportunity for Saddam to remain in power, it suggested Blair's only justification at that time was the presence of weapons of mass destruction and any other justifications areex post facto justifications.[citation needed] On 27 March 2003, UK government whistleblowers suggested that even if the tests were met, Iraq would have been invaded.[citation needed]

Exile proposal

[edit]

It has been suggested that Saddam Hussein was prepared to go into exile if allowed to keep $1 billion USD.[8] On February 22, at a meeting inCrawford, Texas, George Bush told Spanish prime ministerJose Maria Aznar:

"The Egyptians are speaking to Saddam Hussein. It seems he's indicated he would be prepared to go into exile if he's allowed to take $1 billion and all the information he wants about weapons of mass destruction."[8]

The same month Russian PresidentVladimir Putin sent his representative, former prime ministerYevgeny Primakov, to Saddam Hussein. Primakov's mission was to convince Saddam to abdicate as Iraqi president, which could prevent US invasion of Iraq. The debates failed, though. "Saddam just tapped me on the shoulder and went out of the room", Primakov recalled.[9]

In late October 2005, the son of Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (the late president of theUnited Arab Emirates) stated that Saddam Hussein had in fact accepted the offer of exile in that country. Under the deal, Saddam and his family would have fled, been granted immunity from prosecution, and elections would have been held in Iraq within six months under UN and Arab League auspices. However, according to him, the Arab League did not bring up the issue at their emergency summit, citing rules preventing interference in the affairs of their member states, thus preventing it from being accepted. Anonymous officials in the UAE have confirmed the report.[10]

There was also speculation that Saddam would go into exile inBelarus.[11] After the invasion, there was concern that members of Hussein's regime were trying to flee to that country.[12]

References

[edit]
  1. ^abBorger, Julian (November 7, 2003)."Saddam's desperate offers to stave off war".The Guardian. London.Archived from the original on August 27, 2013. RetrievedMay 2, 2010.
  2. ^Landay, Jonathan S.; Strobel, Warren P. (November 5, 2003)."Saddam wanted secret negotiations with U.S., officials say".www.mcclatchydc.com. Knight Ridder Newspapers. Archived fromthe original on 2013-01-28. Retrieved28 December 2021.
  3. ^Risen, James (November 6, 2003)."THE STRUGGLE FOR IRAQ: DIPLOMACY; Iraq Said to Have Tried to Reach Last-Minute Deal to Avert War".The New York Times.Archived from the original on December 18, 2007. RetrievedMay 2, 2010.
  4. ^"Payback?".MSNBC. Archived fromthe original on 2004-06-05. Retrieved2004-03-13.
  5. ^agencies, Staff and (2003-03-12)."1.15pm update".the Guardian.Archived from the original on 2021-06-07. Retrieved2021-06-07.
  6. ^agencies, Staff and (2003-03-12)."Straw spells out key tests for Saddam".the Guardian.Archived from the original on 2021-06-07. Retrieved2021-06-07.
  7. ^Defiant Blair still set on course for war, 13/3/03, The Independent
  8. ^abJason Webb (September 26, 2007)."Bush thought Saddam was prepared to flee: report".Reuters,Reuters.Archived from the original on June 10, 2012. RetrievedSeptember 27, 2007.
  9. ^Yossef BodanskyThe Secret History of the Iraq War. Regan Books, 2005,ISBN 0-06-073680-1
  10. ^"Did Saddam accept exile offer before invasion?".NBC News.Archived from the original on 2019-09-14. Retrieved2005-10-30.
  11. ^Allen-Mills, Tony (December 29, 2002)."Saddam may find bolthole in Belarus".The Times. London. Archived fromthe original on December 11, 2019. RetrievedMay 2, 2010.
  12. ^Cockburn, Patrick (June 24, 2003)."Saddam's closest aides may be trying to flee to Belarus".The Independent. London. Archived fromthe original on April 19, 2010. RetrievedMay 2, 2010.

External links

[edit]
Iraq War (2003–2011)
Beginning of theIraqi conflict
Background
Pre-1990
1990–2003
Rationale
Issues
Dossiers
and memos
Overview
Key events
Invasion
(2003)
Occupation
(2003–2011)
Replacement
governments
Countries
Insurgent
groups
Sunni
groups
Shia
groups
Ba'ath
loyalists
Battles andoperations
Operations
2003
2004
2005
2006
2007
2008
2009–2011
Battles
2003
Invasion
2004
2005
2006
2007
2008
2009–2011
Related events
War crimes
Occupation forces
Killings and
massacres
Chemical
weapons
Torture
and abuse
§Other killings
and bombings
2003
2004
2005
2006
2007
2008
2009
2010
2011
Other war crimes
Prosecution
§ All attacks listed in this group were either committed by insurgents, or have unknown perpetrators
Impact
General
Political
controversies
Investigations
Reactions
Pre-war
Protests
Aftermath in Iraq
Miscellaneous
Terminology
Critical
Memorials
Lists
Timeline
Related
Retrieved from "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Failed_Iraqi_peace_initiatives&oldid=1323394647"
Categories:
Hidden categories:

[8]ページ先頭

©2009-2026 Movatter.jp