In the early 1990s, during thegolden age of hip-hop, Sean Combs becomes an intern atUptown Records. After appearing in a music video for Uptown, Joi Dickerson-Neal alleges that Combs drugged and raped her, filmed the encounter, and showed it at his parties. During this time, Combs is also held responsible for theCity College stampede, which caused the deaths of nine people in 1991. After being fired by Uptown in 1993, Combs co-foundsBad Boy Records with Kirk Burrowes and signsthe Notorious B.I.G. to the label.
2
"What Goes Down Must Come Up"
59 minutes
December 2, 2025 (2025-12-02)
3
"Official Girl"
55 minutes
December 2, 2025 (2025-12-02)
4
"Blink Again"
67 minutes
December 2, 2025 (2025-12-02)
Production
On December 7, 2023, executive producerCurtis "50 Cent" Jackson announced that he was developing aSean Combs docuseries and that proceeds from the project would go to victims of thesexual misconduct allegations against Combs.[11] Before hiringAlexandria Stapleton to direct the series, Jackson had been working on the project for five months, looking for people close to Combs who were willing to "speak and tell the truth".[12]Cassie Ventura, Combs's former partner, was invited to participate in the series but declined.[12] Jackson said that he spoke to Ventura and her husband,Alex Fine, "to understand how things transpired" with Combs.[13]
Netflix announced production on the series on September 25, 2024,[14][15] one week after Combs was arrested on charges of racketeering, sex trafficking, and transportation to engage in prostitution.[16] Jackson and Stapleton said:
This is a story with significant human impact. It is a complex narrative spanning decades, not just the headlines or clips seen so far. We remain steadfast in our commitment to give a voice to the voiceless and to present authentic and nuanced perspectives. While the allegations are disturbing, we urge all to remember that Sean Combs' story is not the full story of hip-hop and its culture. We aim to ensure that individual actions do not overshadow the culture's broader contributions.[17]
The series features clips of Combs in the days before his 2024 arrest, prompting questions about how Jackson and Netflix acquired the clips. Stapleton said, "we obtained the footage legally and have the necessary rights."[18]
Release
The series' trailer was released on December 1, 2025.[19][20][21] The series was released onNetflix the next day.[22][23]
Reception
In the six days after its release, the series was viewed 21.8 million times, making it the second-most-viewedNetflix title during the week of December 1–8, 2025, after Volume 1 of thefifth season ofStranger Things.[24][25]
Critical response
On thereview aggregator websiteRotten Tomatoes, 90% of 10 critics' reviews are positive. The website's consensus reads: "Meticulous and sober rather than sensational,Sean Combs: The Reckoning is a smoothly made and exhaustive chronicle whose mounting, well-evidenced allegations leave a deep impact."[26]Metacritic, which uses aweighted average, assigned the series a score of 67 out of 100, based on 5 critics, indicating "generally favorable" reviews.[27]
The Guardian's Stuart Heritage rated the series four stars out of five and wrote, "Thankfully, the existence ofThe Reckoning seems to suggest that the arch manipulator has finally been outmanoeuvred. Although there are certainly elements of this story that have not been told – Combs's infamous "freak-off" parties are presented as an afterthought, and none of their long line of celebrity attendees are mentioned – the series does what is most needed right now. If Combs is able to uncancel himself in the face of evidence this damning, it will be nothing less than a miracle."[28]
Reaction from Combs
Before its release, a spokesperson for Combs denounced the series, calling it a "shameful hit piece" that uses "stolen footage that was never authorized for release".[29][30] Combs's mother, Janice Combs, also released a statement denouncing the series.[31]