Alireza Tangsiri | |
|---|---|
| Native name | علیرضا تنگسیری |
| Born | 1962 (age 63–64) |
| Allegiance | Iran |
| Branch | Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps |
| Rank | Commodore |
| Commands | Navy |
| Conflicts | |
Commodore Alireza Tangsiri (Persian:علیرضا تنگسیری; born 1962) is an Iranian naval officer who serves as the commander of theIRGC Navy, appointed in 2018.[1][2]
Tangsiri was anaval brigade commander during theIran-Iraq War. He later headed theIslamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy (IRGCN) 1st Naval District inBandar Abbas.[3]
In September 2007, Tangsiri said that if the United States were "to clash with us, we would chase them even to theGulf of Mexico."[4]
In 2013 he said, “the Israelis areJews and the Americans areChristians. OurQuran stresses that they are not our friends.”[5]
In January 2016, after Iran detained 10US Marines in the2016 U.S.–Iran naval incident when they had engine failure and entered Iranian waters, Tangsiri described it as "U.S. forces surrendering to Iran."[4] On August 23, 2018, Iran's supreme leaderAli Khamenei promoted Tangsiri to commander of the IRGCN.[3]
In November 2021, Tangsiri said that the United States had "come to realize theIslamic Republic’s superiority at sea."[6] In February 2025, he unveiled Iran's firstdrone carrier, a commercial vessel that had been repurposed, which he described as the “largest naval military project” in the history of Iran.[7] In March 2025, Tangsiri warned that "If the enemies make a mistake, we will send them to the depths of hell," after U.S. PresidentDonald Trump wrote Iran's supreme leader Khamenei urging Iran to reach a nuclear agreement with the U.S. or else face military action.[8]
In April 2025, Tangsiri said that theUnited States Navy was “incapable” of challenging Iran’s maritime dominance.[9]
In 2022, he claimed thatSaudi rulers descend from theJews of Medina andKhaybar, enemies of the ProphetMuhammad.[10]
He has threatened American and British shipping in thePersian Gulf.[11]
On 24 June 2019, theU.S. Treasury Department sanctioned him as aSpecially Designated Global Terrorist, freezing any of his U.S. assets and banning U.S. persons from doing business with him, underExecutive Order 13224.[12] He was sanctioned with secondary sanctions in 2024 due to his position on the board ofParavar Pars Company, an Iranian military company which developsunmanned aerial vehicles and is sanctioned by the USA.[11]
| Military offices | ||
|---|---|---|
| Preceded by | Commander of theIRGC Navy 23 August 2018 - Present | Succeeded by |